top of page



To maintain licensure, the Psychologist or Counsellor

needs to complete at least 18 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)

every year.

Within JamPsych, Continuing Education includes a variety of forms

of learning experiences, including: 


Teacher Writing a Formula on a Blackboard


Female Presenter


Business Conference


Video Conference



You can accrue up to 100% of Continuing Education Units (CEU's) through independent learning for each renewal cycle. Independent learning means the variety of forms of organized and directed learning experiences that occur when the instructor and the student are not in direct visual or auditory contact. These include, but are not limited to, courses delivered via the Internet, CD-ROM, satellite downlink, correspondence and home study. Independent learning courses must meet all standards of an approved continuing education course. Persons who are engaged in the teaching of psychology may also gain up to 4 CEUs once the relevant educational institution verifies the courses taught.


Approved CEUs are those provided by the Caribbean Alliance of National Psychological Associations (CANPA), Jamaican Psychological Society (JamPsych) or other mental health organizations or individual professionals or groups (e.g. American Psychological Association (APA) or American Psychiatric Association or state-approved CEUs in the USA or Canada or the UK) or Continuing Medical Education (CME) courses specifically applicable and pertinent to the practice of psychology and that are accredited by the Medical Association of Jamaica (MAJ) or the Ministry of Health (MOH). If in doubt, you may check with JamPsych for clarification.  


Note that Psychologists and Counsellors will be responsible for keeping their own Continuing Education (CE) certificates and will submit these certificates with the license renewal forms to the CPSM.


We encourage our membership to take advantage of Continuing Education opportunities not just for licensure purposes but also for self- and professional development. 


Accredited Psychology & Counselling Programmes in Jamaica

Upcoming Courses

In order to be licensed for practice in Jamaica as a psychologist or counsellor, you will be required to hold an accredited degree in your area of specialization. Below is a list of counselling and psychology programmes in Jamaica that are accredited by the University Council of Jamaica (UCJ). Should you have an accredited degree from another institution outside of Jamaica, please submit your degree to the UCJ for evaluation. Note that persons who hold an accredited Bachelor's degree in Psychology or an accredited graduate degree in a related area, can apply to be affiliate members of JamPsych but would not be eligible for licensure. 

bottom of page